Proven Strategies for Effective Business Translation
Translating business documents is a complex process. Translating them accurately and within a tight schedule adds additional challenges. At International Language Services (ILS), we’ve developed a process for translation that streamlines and organizes your project, making on-time delivery of translations that accurately convey your message to your target audience routine. To help you understand this process, and the importance of each step, here is an overview of a typical translation project, from beginning to end:
- Price Quote – The client sends us a formatted copy of the file to be translated. We can work with almost any commonly used format, including MS Word documents, web-based files, popular desktop publishing applications, such as InDesign or Quark, and most database formats. We analyze your material, obtain a word count, assess the scheduling and other requirements, and provide a competitive price quote for the finished project. More information about translation pricing.
- Project Manager Assignment – On approval from our client, we assign a dedicated translation project manager. The project manager schedules the project, assigns resources and coordinate all aspects of the project, staying in regular contact with you and all members of the project team.
- Assignment of Translators – We select a translation team from our ISO qualified resource pool, based on the qualifications required for your project. All ILS translators are native-speaking professionals and are assigned based on subject matter expertise. For most projects, a single team is assigned (translator / editor) per language. This maximizes consistency throughout your translation. We have translators who specialize in a wide range of industries – manufacturing, engineering, computer science, medicine, medical devices, IT and more.
- Document Management – Using state-of-the art content management software, the translation, editing, and review process is streamlined. We stores a database of translated phrases by language upon completion of your project. For future projects, this Translation Memory database, can speed up the translation process and lower costs. Client confidentiality and data security is maintained at all times. We translate all types of technical documents such as product manuals, online catalogs, instruction guides, business contracts, legal documents, IFU’s, packaging labels, safety manuals and more.
- Initial Translation – The primary translator will work steadily to translate your files, using his or her industry specific knowledge plus any required research to translate specialized terminology. The result is a document that clearly presents the information to a native speaker in the target market, while preserving the tone and intent of the original. If there are questions, your project manager will consult you. The time needed for this stage depends on the length and complexity of the document as estimated in our proposal to you.
- Editing & Review – A second qualified translator reviews the translation against the original document, making any changes needed to clarify or correct errors in the original translation. Your project manager facilitates resolution of any questions so that an accurate and complete translation can be delivered on schedule.
- Document Formatting – Once the translation and review are complete, the document is formatted as specified, then checked again to make sure no errors have crept in during the formatting process. Attention to detail during our final quality check assures that you receive translated files ready for your immediate use.
- Delivery – Your completed project is delivered, on or before the promised deadline. Your complete satisfaction is always our goal.
- In-Country Review – Some clients may choose to have the translated project reviewed in the destination country by an employee or trusted professional there. When this is done, the client should choose a very knowledgeable reviewer who has adequate time to complete the review promptly and who understands that it is a review, not a rewriting of the document. We will make any changes needed after such a review. More about in-country review.
As a leading translation company in the US, our translators specialize in more than 150 foreign languages, including Chinese, Spanish, French, German, Russian, Arabic, Hebrew, Japanese, Greek, Latvian, Bulgarian, Czech, Italian, Hindi, Dutch, Portuguese, Polish and more.
International Language Services – Translation Expertise from Start to Finish
When you need a translation project completed correctly and on time, ILS is your ideal choice for a translation services company. Our finely honed translation process, expert translators, and formatting capabilities, expertly managed by one of our experienced project managers, are your assurance of a job well done. Once you entrust your project to us, you can move on confidently to your other responsibilities, knowing that your project is in expert hands. We’ll keep you informed of progress at all times, but won’t disturb you with issues except when absolutely necessary. Our years of experience assure you that we will deliver the results you expect, exactly when you need them. Contact us about your upcoming translation needs or for a free project quote.