Medical Device Translation Efficiency Begins with Document Planning
Translation of documents is a complex process involving many steps. Medical device translations can be even more challenging, due to the specialized terminology and regulatory requirements. With no margin for error, accuracy of translation and quality control are imperative. To maximize efficiency and cost control, the documentation translation process should involve your entire documentation team. At International Language Services (ILS), we encourage all of our client companies to get involved early in their documentation process. The payoff is reduced project timelines and cost savings, as well as more accurate and problem-free translations. Here are some of the ways your documentation team can plan for translation:
- Consult with Your Translation Company Early – Early in your documentation process for a new device or product, contact your translation services provider. At our medical device translation company, we can provide advice regarding lay out, source applications or other details that may save you time and money in the long run.
- Prepare Documentation with Translation in Mind – There are a number of strategies that documentation writers can use to help speed translations, ensure accuracy, and avoid potential issues. When multi-language translations, such as Spanish, French, German, Italian, Russian, Chinese, and Japanese, are required, these efficiencies multiply in importance.
- Create an English Style Guide – Consistency of language is very important for translation purposes. A style guide can standardize the use of words and phrases throughout your English documentation that ultimately simplifies the translation process. Repeated words and phrases can then be translated once and reused throughout your projects using a customer-specific Translation Memory database. Consistency in the use of language eliminates confusion and speeds translations dramatically. For example, instead of expressing the same concept using different synonyms in English, use the same word throughout your documents for the same purpose. The use of boilerplate text for repeated passages, instead of writing unique passages for each situation saves time and reduces translation costs.
- Maintain Updated Glossaries Throughout the Project – When writing your documentation, such as IFU’s, manuals, labels, decals and instructions, create and update a glossary of industry specific technical terms. This glossary should briefly define technical nomenclature and all words and phrases specific to the particular device and its usage. Including expansions of abbreviations and acronyms is also important. This will help reduce the learning curve for your translators and, in turn, speed up your project. If you can also provide preferred translations from your in country contacts for a short set of terminology, it will help ensure their total satisfaction with the final translations they receive.
- Edit for Translation – The editing team for your documentation should understand and edit the content in a way that maintains consistency of style and vocabulary, and should always seek to reduce the complexity of the writing. The simpler and more consistent the source original, the easier the translation will be. For any translation, simple and straightforward means faster and less expensive projects.
International Language Services – Translating Documents for Medical Device Manufacturers
At ILS, we specialize in multilingual translations for medical device manufacturers in Spanish, French, German, Italian, Russian, Chinese, Japanese and over 150 foreign languages. Our longstanding medical device translation clients have learned that working with us from the very beginning of a project is key to making the translation process smooth, timely and cost effective. Part of our service to our clients is helping their documentation teams understand the ways that their document planning and writing help us provide the most accurate translations possible, as efficiently as possible and at the best possible price. Over time, the synergy of the relationship grows, producing increasing benefits. Contact ILS soon regarding your next translation project and to discuss beginning a long-term relationship between your company and ours.